Friday, September 12, 2008

What Does 2 Days Old Look Like?

Forty eight hours ago, I was hastily making my way back from breakfast to find our nurse LaShonda, telling my wife "Don't move. I can do this if we have to, but the Doctor's getting paid all that money, I'd like to let him do the job..." Moments later, I found myself lifting Cristine's leg, watching her push, and seeing our daughter's scalp peek out at us. Within 5 more minutes, I was looking at our 10 second old daughter.

Let's get real here - I'm watching TLC and Discovery Channel right along side you. But, how often do you see a 10 second old child, up close and personal like that? Today, I'm just trying to look at things through that lens and realizing the child wrapped up in front of me is not only ours, but is 2 days old. Two days old?! Yesterday, she looked perfect. But, today, she looks like God filled in the gaps that we didn't even know she had.

Ever see fresh concrete in a building when it rains? The super panics and yells to the crew that he's found a leak. It's a big deal. Guys are scrambling around. Somebody's getting cussed out. You looked at the concrete the day before and it looked like a good pour, didn't it? It looked solid, didn't it? The difference for us, is that patching the leaks is more a natural function of her body as God designed it - antibodies kicking in, learning to survive without Cristine's hormonal support, growing, building - as opposed to having to repour a whole section of concrete.

She's solid, or at least that's what it looks like. All of Presleigh's tests have come back "on point". She is a little bit yellow, so we're getting the jaundice results back later to make sure it's not jaundice and that everything her body can't do yet eventually gets done. Not a whole lot of sleep last night, but we're okay for the wear. I recall days as a freshman in college being woken up three times a night because som yahoo pulled the fire alarm and having stayed up the night before to study for a final. Been there, done that, we'll make it together.

Heading home this afternoon to get "settled in". Hopefully we'll get out of here in time to dodge traffic on 400 North.

No comments:

Who's Following this Blog:

Live Visitor Map: